A letter to my sixteen year old self…

When I was a teenager, I thought I was so grown up.  I thought I knew everything there was to know about life.  Looking back now I realise I really was just a kid playing grown up.  Someone asked me the other day what advice I would give to a younger version of myself.  That really got me thinking.  And here’s what I came up with……

 

An open letter to my sixteen year old self:

That boy you think is the love of your life?  The one who you have this picture perfect relationship with  The one with whom there’s not a cloud on the horizon?  Yeah, he’s not.  There’s nothing wrong with him, he’s just not the one for you.  Love doesn’t have to be perfect nor should it be.  Somewhere out there there’s a guy who will love you 90 per cent of the time and hate you for the other 10 per cent, he’s the guy who will give you as good as you dish out and will call you on your BS.  Arguing is good, it means you get to make up.

On the other hand don’t spend your whole life waiting or searching for this guy.  Be comfortable enough to be alone but never be lonely.  There is a huge, huge difference.  You need to learn to love yourself before you can completely love someone else.

You will get your heart broken.  A lot.  Not just by men.  People will disappoint you.  That’s life and though it won’t feel like it at the time, you will be ok.  Pick yourself up, pick up the pieces of your heart and put them back together again.

Be good to mum.  Appreciate her, spend time with her, remember she gave birth to you and put up with you for years.  And you don’t know how long she is going to be around.  Remember dad is human and makes mistakes too, some which will hurt you.  Remember, to err is human, to forgive is divine.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s