My darling Nana was born in 1917 and lived to be the ripe old age of 90. She always looked young for her age and she hated old people. She believed if you thought you were old then you would be. She died when I was 22 but during my teenage years she did pass down her pearls of wisdom which I am now going to pass on to you….
- Never leave the house without your face on. Ever. This, for Nana meant red lipstick, pressed powder, mascara and blush – or rogue as she called it. She always insisted a woman should look her best no matter what the circumstances because you never know who you might see.
- Wear heels whenever possible. They make you stand up taller, correct your posture and make your legs appear longer.
- “Child, if you must wear stockings wear the lace-top ones with suspenders not the granny all in ones, you’ll never nab a boy with those”
- Feeling like you might have a cold? Have a whiskey with hot water and honey. Just got dumped? Have a small dash of whiskey. Fight with mum? Here have a whiskey with lemonade. The moral of this story? There isn’t an ailment in the world that just a small taste of whiskey won’t fix. Somehow I think my Nana and Captain Jack Sparrow would have gotten on quite well.
- Never, ever leave the house without a spare pair of knickers in your purse, you never know when you might get hit by a bus and a handsome fireman may have to pull you out. For some reason I highly doubt that if I got run over by a bus I would have time to just whip out my spare pair of knickers and put them on.
- If you insist on wearing nothing to bed (which by the way I never did I’m strictly a pjs kind of girl, Nana was much saucier than I’ll ever be.) at least do it Marilyn Monroe style and wear it with Chanel No5.